Baked Beef and Brown Rice Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 medium carrots, grated
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1. In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer rice, onion, carrots, beef and green pepper. Sprinkle with salt. Combine the tomato juice, Worcestershire sauce and basil; pour over the top. Sprinkle with cheese and wheat germ. cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until the rice is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Wheat germ is very perishable. So be sure to only store it tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.
1 each: 468 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 1372mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 34g protein.
Reviews for Baked Beef and Brown Rice
"The rice takes forever to cook. If you try I would suggest cooking the brown rice first and cutting some time off the baking time."