Baked Beef and Brown Rice
Ever since a neighbor shared this recipe a few years ago, it's been a family favorite. Wheat germ and brown rice give an added boost of nutrition.—Pam Goodlet, Washington Island, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 medium carrots, grated
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer rice, onion, carrots, beef and green pepper. Sprinkle with salt. Combine the tomato juice, Worcestershire sauce and basil; pour over the top. Sprinkle with cheese and wheat germ. cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until the rice is tender.
Wheat germ is very perishable. So be sure to only store it tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.