Baked Beef and Brown Rice
Ever since a neighbor shared this recipe a few years ago, it's been a family favorite. Wheat germ and brown rice give an added boost of nutrition.—Pam Goodlet, Washington Island, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 medium carrots, grated
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer rice, onion, carrots, beef and green pepper. Sprinkle with salt. Combine the tomato juice, Worcestershire sauce and basil; pour over the top. Sprinkle with cheese and wheat germ. cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until the rice is tender.
Wheat germ is very perishable. So be sure to only store it tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 468 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 1372mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 34g protein.
Originally published as Baked Beef and Brown Rice in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips