VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 slices Boston brown bread, lightly toasted
- Caramelized onions
- Boston baked beans, warmed
- In a large bowl, combine bread crumbs, egg, salt and pepper. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into four 1/2-in.-thick patties. Press a shallow indentation in the center of each with your thumb. Brush both sides of patties with oil.
- Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°. Serve between brown bread with toppings. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Baked Beans & Onion Burgers in Taste of Home June/July 2014