Baked Barbecued Broilers
You'll need just six ingredients for the simple sauce that coats these tender chickens from Mary Ellen Wix of Harrington, Delaware. The recipe makes enough for a hearty supper yet leaves plenty for meals later in the week.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 80 min. + standing
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3-1/2 to 4 pounds each)
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup cider or red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place chickens, breast side up, in a large shallow roasting pan. Combine the remaining ingredients; pour over chickens. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour. Cover and bake 20-30 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 180° and juices run clear. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 240 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 479mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Baked Barbecued Broilers in Quick Cooking July/August 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.