Baked Barbecued Beef
THIS WAS one of the first "American" dishes I enjoyed in 1949 after arriving in the United States from New Zealand. It's now the most-used recipe in my recipe box! It's easy to prepare and so well liked. I've willingly shared it with my grandchildren and friends. -Mercia Miner, Canfield, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 2 hours
- 2-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 to 12 hamburger buns, split
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef and onions; drain. Stir in the next eight ingredients. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Serve on buns.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 296 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 774mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
Originally published as Baked Barbecued Beef in Reminisce July/August 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.