Baked Barbecued Beef Sandwiches
I’ve been making this recipe for years, and it never fails to win big grins from family and guests. The meat is tender, and the sauce is tangy with a little kick. —Lynn Henderson, Powell, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 3 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 12 kaiser rolls, split
- Preheat oven to 325°. Sprinkle roast with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil on both sides; drain. Combine water, ketchup, onion, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, garlic and remaining salt and pepper; pour over meat.
- Cover and bake 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender. Remove roast; let stand 5 minutes before slicing, Skim fat from cooking juices. Return meat to the pan; heat through. Serve on rolls.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 412 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 1050mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as Barbecued Beef Sandwiches in Taste of Home April/May 2006
Jul 9, 2016
Loved it! And so easy to prepare. Served on brioche rolls with cole slaw.
Apr 28, 2014
Excellent recipe! I made it exactly as written and served sandwiches with potato and pasta salads from the deli.