Baked Barbecued Beef Brisket
This tasty brisket conveniently bakes for hours, allowing you lots of time to prepare the rest of the meal. Leftovers make delicious sandwiches.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 2-1/2 hours + standing
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 fresh beef brisket (4 pounds)
- 3 to 4 teaspoons liquid smoke, optional
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine the garlic powder, onion salt and celery salt; rub over brisket. Place in a shallow bowl; sprinkle with liquid smoke if desired. Turn to coat; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- For sauce, in a large saucepan, combine 2 cups water, ketchup, onion, 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, celery seed, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool; cover and refrigerate.
- Place the brisket in a Dutch oven; add remaining water and Worcestershire sauce to pan. Cover tightly. Bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours; drain.
- Baste with sauce. Bake, uncovered, until meat is tender, 1-2 hours longer. Let stand for 20 minutes; thinly slice across the grain.