Blue cheese, bacon and basil pack big flavor into a couple of bites. To save time, you can assemble the skewers the night before and then serve them hot from the broiler on the day. —Vivi Taylor, Middleburg, Florida
Recommended: 30 Seafood Recipes for Christmas Gatherings
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 16 uncooked shrimp (16-20 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 16 cubes blue cheese (1/2 inch)
- 16 fresh basil leaves
- 8 bacon strips, halved
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- Preheat broiler. Combine butter, garlic and pepper sauce. Cut a slit in each shrimp along the inside curve; flatten slightly. Sprinkle shrimp with salt and pepper. Press a cheese cube into slit. Wrap a basil leaf and bacon piece around each shrimp; secure with a toothpick.
- Place shrimp on a greased rack of a broiler pan. Broil 6-8 in. from heat until shrimp turn pink and bacon is crisp, about 5-6 minutes on each side, basting occasionally with butter mixture.
- Arrange shrimp on a serving platter; sprinkle with celery, crumbled blue cheese and basil. Yield: 16 appetizers.
Originally published as Bacon-Wrapped Blue Cheese Shrimp in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2017, p11