Bacon Veggie Chowder Recipe
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 2 small carrots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1-1/3 cups frozen corn
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1-1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings.
- 2. Saute onion in drippings until tender. Add the potatoes, carrots, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are almost tender.
- 3. Stir in the milk, corn and pepper. Cook 5 minutes longer. Combine flour and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup: 473 calories, 30g fat (16g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 810mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein.
Reviews for Bacon Veggie Chowder
"My husband and I really liked this and I can't wait to make it again!! I left out the bacon and chose to add more veggies instead. I added broccoli, peas, green beans as well as some other seasonings to give it a little kick! I also substituted skim milk for the whole milk. It was delicious, fillings and healthy!! It was perfect on a cold winter night with a grilled cheese."
"I cut the amount of cheese to about half of a choice and left out the bacon. It was more like a potato soup with some other veggies in it. But it was filling and decent tasting."