Bacon Veggie Chowder
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 2 small carrots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1-1/3 cups frozen corn
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1-1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings.
- Saute onion in drippings until tender. Add the potatoes, carrots, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are almost tender.
- Stir in the milk, corn and pepper. Cook 5 minutes longer. Combine flour and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Sprinkle with bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 473 calories, 30g fat (16g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 810mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 27, 2013
My husband and I really liked this and I can't wait to make it again!! I left out the bacon and chose to add more veggies instead. I added broccoli, peas, green beans as well as some other seasonings to give it a little kick! I also substituted skim milk for the whole milk. It was delicious, fillings and healthy!! It was perfect on a cold winter night with a grilled cheese.
Nov 18, 2012
I cut the amount of cheese to about half of a choice and left out the bacon. It was more like a potato soup with some other veggies in it. But it was filling and decent tasting.