- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 bacon strips, halved
- In a bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with bacon.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 70-80 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Drain; let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forBacon-Topped Meat Loaf
"Almost once I week Mom and I would make this for supper. For a wedding gift Mom got a new copy of a Betty Crockbook. Still the one I use, falling out pages, etc. When you lived in a small town (Crown Z lumber mill) what was 'available' was pretty limited. Ocean Falls, BC.Book was printed in 1938."
"Made this for supper last night and it was delicious! The chili sauce adds a nice spice to the meatloaf. minutes before it was done. It gave the bacon a great flavor."
"This is the only meatloaf I'll eat!"
"It was absolutely delicious (and I am not a fan of meatloaf!) My family loved it...The only change I made was that I used a "meatloaf mix" (pork, beef and veal ground). I made it a couple of weeks ago...and froze it for a night that I would not have time to cook. It was perfect. There was enough left for one lunch tomorrow! (Make sure you drain out the grease and let it settle so the slices don't fall apart when you are about to serve.)"
"Good flavor and good texture."
"This meatloaf was easy to make and was tasty, but we found this meatloaf so greasy. Maybe using a meatloaf pan that removes the grease as it bakes would help, but this is one recipe that I can only make every so often as a treat."
"I LOVE meat loaf, this one is great!! Invest in a meat loaf pan ( 2 piece w/the tray where the meat loaf sits ) they are worth their weight in gold. No more meat loaf sitting in grease."