Bacon-Topped Grilled Cheese
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 8 bacon strips, cooked
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- Place mozzarella cheese on four bread slices; layer each with a fourth of the tomato slices, two bacon strips, 1 tablespoon sour cream, 1 tablespoon onion, a pinch of oregano, one slice of cheddar cheese. Top with remaining bread.
- Butter outsides of sandwiches. In a small skillet over medium heat, toast sandwiches for 3-4 minutes on each side or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 554 calories, 30g fat (17g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 1085mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 28g protein.
Sep 3, 2015
Combined the sour cream, oregano, 1/4t dried basil and the onion together, used part skim shredded mozzarella instead of slices and thick cut bacon. Great sandwich!
Apr 15, 2015
My family loved this sandwich. It was such a great twist to just regular grilled cheese. We will definitely make this one again. I did not have sour cream so I had to use plain yogurt and it still turned out great.
Feb 7, 2014
Awesome sandwich my son requested I make it again :)
Apr 22, 2013
This was my first time making a grilled cheese sandwich with sourdough bread - loved, loved, loved! I omitted the onions, but used everything else. I used Roma tomatoes - I prefer them in sandwiches as they have less juice & hold together well when sliced. The sour cream & oregano add a great flavor to this sandwich. Yum!
Apr 9, 2011
We love this sandwich...it is the best...goes great w/ fresh fruit. I make it just like it says!!
Nov 5, 2010
I used regular white bread instead of sourdough & I used garlic powder instead of oregano, also omitted the tomato & this is still a delicious sandwich! Very tasty! Next time i will try it with tomato.
Mar 30, 2010
This sandwich is so awesome!! My family loves it. I like it with cilantro better than oregano, but I think you could use whatever herb you like and it would be great:)
Jul 13, 2009
This is my Husband and I's favorite meal! If you dip it in Tomatoe soup it gets even better!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.