Bacon-Tomato Dip in a Bread Bowl
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 medium tomato, peeled and chopped
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 round loaf (1/2 pound) unsliced sourdough bread
- Assorted crackers
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and mayonnaise until smooth. Stir in the tomato, bacon, basil and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Cut a 1-1/2-in. thick slice off the top of bread; set aside. Carefully hollow out loaf, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Cut removed bread into cubes. Fill bread shell with dip. Serve with bread cubes and crackers.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 134 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 198mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 7, 2018
I made this for company and we all loved it. it is so simple to make (I doubled the recipe) but only added 12 or 13 strips of bacon. I made the bacon and chopped the tomatoes ahead and didn't add them to the dip until the morning of when I was going to serve. I did serve in the bread bowl and the bread cubes were actually better with this than crackers.
Jul 5, 2016
I made this for a 4th of July party and it was a big hit. Easy to prepare and delicious! Will definitely make this again. It's a keeper!
Nov 30, 2015
Really yummy :) I didn't have very much cream cheese so used creme fraiche instead - of course it made it runnier but was still good. I added some salt too which it seemed to need.
Sep 12, 2015
This is very good! I made it exactly as directed the first time and served it at our Friends' Friday Night card party and everyone loved it. The last time I made it I ended up substituting grape tomatoes from my garden cut into 8 pieces each (yes, you can easily slice grape tomatoes ) enough to make 1 cup of tomatoes and used 1/2 cup packaged real bacon bits (packed) which also turned out very well and was just a s tasty. This is a keeper!
Jun 24, 2015
Crazy good! I could eat it with a spoon!
Nov 13, 2014
Great recipe as it is. I also tried it with a little pesto substituted for the basil and added some fresh crab meat and a little lemon juice. Also yummy.
Nov 12, 2010
Loved this dip, I use sundried tomatoes instead of the fresh. Gives a richer flavour.