Bacon Tomato Chowder
This soup recipe is so warm and inviting for any occasion, but most of all, I like to cook it for just my husband and me.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 3/4 cup canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. Discard drippings.
- In the same pan, melt butter. Stir in flour and nutmeg until smooth. Gradually whisk in broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in tomatoes. Reduce heat; stir in cream. Heat through (do not boil). Add bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 586 calories, 51g fat (27g saturated fat), 124mg cholesterol, 1453mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Bacon Tomato Chowder in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.