Bacon Swiss Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 65 min. + standing
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 1 cup crumbled cooked bacon (about 12 bacon strips), divided
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, milk, 1 cup Swiss cheese, 3/4 cup bacon, bread crumbs, garlic powder and onion powder. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until meat is no longer pink and a thermometer reads 160°. Drain. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bacon. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 8, 2017
Cooked this for my son who is on a low carb diet - substituted heavy cream for the evaporated milk and crushed up pork rinds for the bread crumbs. Came out great - I even liked it and I am not a meat loaf lover :)
Jun 29, 2014
I used what i had on hand at the time, (half n half for the evaporated milk, and Chedder for the Swiss). It came out just fine and my family loved it. I will be keeping this one hand for a easy dinner Kay Matson
Apr 26, 2014
Honestly, at first when I saw this recipe I thought, who makes meatloaf w/ swiss cheese? But my husband thought the idea was great & asked if I would make it. I followed the recipe exactly and when we had family over, served it up. There wasn't a word spoken while eating & there wasn't a drop left. The meatloaf is delicious and the recipe is a total keeper. Thanks so much for submitting this Kimberly!
Mar 4, 2013
I have made this several times and this is the only way my husband will eat meatloaf. I enjoy it myself, however I rarely have swiss cheese on hand and rarely buy it, so I will sometimes substitute it with mozzarella cheese. Since it's just my husband and I eating, I will make smaller loaves and freeze the rest. This also cuts the bake time in half.
Mar 26, 2012
I've made this a couple times but I used cheddar cheese instead of swiss. This is a keeper!
Jan 26, 2012
None of my family are big meat loaf lovers, but this recipe they all loved.
Sep 13, 2011
Yummmm. I increased the meat to 2 lbs, but spread it out rather than form a loaf in the pan, so the cooking time was the same. It was just the right size for three adults and three children.
Dec 22, 2010
Very good, but a little pricey with all that bacon.
Sep 26, 2010
Really good! Next time I think I'll substitute oatmeal for the bread crumbs. We love the taste of oatmeal in meatloaf.
Sep 11, 2010
oh my goodness out of this world