Bacon Swiss Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 65 min. + standing
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 1 cup crumbled cooked bacon (about 12 bacon strips), divided
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, milk, 1 cup Swiss cheese, 3/4 cup bacon, bread crumbs, garlic powder and onion powder. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until meat is no longer pink and a thermometer reads 160°. Drain. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bacon. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Aug 8, 2017
Cooked this for my son who is on a low carb diet - substituted heavy cream for the evaporated milk and crushed up pork rinds for the bread crumbs. Came out great - I even liked it and I am not a meat loaf lover :)
Jun 29, 2014
I used what i had on hand at the time, (half n half for the evaporated milk, and Chedder for the Swiss). It came out just fine and my family loved it. I will be keeping this one hand for a easy dinner Kay Matson
Apr 26, 2014
Honestly, at first when I saw this recipe I thought, who makes meatloaf w/ swiss cheese? But my husband thought the idea was great & asked if I would make it. I followed the recipe exactly and when we had family over, served it up. There wasn't a word spoken while eating & there wasn't a drop left. The meatloaf is delicious and the recipe is a total keeper. Thanks so much for submitting this Kimberly!
Mar 4, 2013
I have made this several times and this is the only way my husband will eat meatloaf. I enjoy it myself, however I rarely have swiss cheese on hand and rarely buy it, so I will sometimes substitute it with mozzarella cheese. Since it's just my husband and I eating, I will make smaller loaves and freeze the rest. This also cuts the bake time in half.
Mar 26, 2012
I've made this a couple times but I used cheddar cheese instead of swiss. This is a keeper!
Jan 26, 2012
None of my family are big meat loaf lovers, but this recipe they all loved.
Sep 13, 2011
Yummmm. I increased the meat to 2 lbs, but spread it out rather than form a loaf in the pan, so the cooking time was the same. It was just the right size for three adults and three children.
Dec 22, 2010
Very good, but a little pricey with all that bacon.
Sep 26, 2010
Really good! Next time I think I'll substitute oatmeal for the bread crumbs. We love the taste of oatmeal in meatloaf.
Sep 11, 2010
oh my goodness out of this world