Bacon Spinach Strata
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced mushrooms
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 loaf (1 pound) day old bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 package (1 pound) sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 9 large eggs
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon each onion powder, garlic powder and ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onions in oil until tender. Place half of the bread cubes and 1/2 cup Swiss cheese in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with bacon, cheddar cheese, mushroom mixture, spinach and remaining Swiss cheese and bread cubes.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk and seasonings. Pour over casserole. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 45-55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean (cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly). Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 382 calories, 22g fat (10g saturated fat), 204mg cholesterol, 817mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 18, 2018
Dec 21, 2015
I omit the mushrooms and substitute swiss and Cheddar with feta and mozzarella (1 1/2 cup each). I try to use a nice crusty bread from the bakery, like sourdough, or baguette. It's a hit with the family every Christmas!
Dec 27, 2012
Made this for Christmas so I could enjoy family time. It was great & my family enjoyed. A keeper for me!
Apr 6, 2012
This was my first time making any type of strata. I found the recipe to be very easy and also allowed for some adaptations. As it was for only my husband and I, I used an 8x8 baking dish and cut just about everything in half. I also didn't have a half of loaf of bread, so I used a little bit of leftover wheat bread and then some wheat hamburger buns, which turned out fine! I still used an entire package of spinach, which was a little much. I also didn't have Swiss cheese, so I used mozzarella and cheddar. I think I would make this again as it was very easy. You could also easily add sausage or ham instead of the bacon.
Feb 21, 2012
I made this and took it into work - where it was very well received. To me, it had too much bread, and I would use less the next time I make it. Nice taste, though, and it is nice that it can be fixed the night before.
Dec 20, 2010
I have made this strata since 08 and evertime my brother in law comes to visit he puts in an order! It makes our visits more special!
Oct 15, 2010
Was fantastic. We even sauteed some mushrooms and threw those in as well. Beautiful to see and delicious to eat!!!
Mar 20, 2009
Both my husband and I love spinach. Have not tried this dish yet, but plan to soon. Thank you for sharing recipe.