- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced mushrooms
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 loaf (1 pound) day old bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 package (1 pound) sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 9 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon each onion powder, garlic powder and ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onions in oil until tender. Place half of the bread cubes and 1/2 cup Swiss cheese in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with bacon, cheddar cheese, mushroom mixture, spinach and remaining Swiss cheese and bread cubes. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk and seasonings. Pour over casserole. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 45-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean (cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly). Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forBacon Spinach Strata
"Made this for Christmas so I could enjoy family time. It was great & my family enjoyed. A keeper for me!"
"This was my first time making any type of strata. I found the recipe to be very easy and also allowed for some adaptations. As it was for only my husband and I, I used an 8x8 baking dish and cut just about everything in half. I also didn't have a half of loaf of bread, so I used a little bit of leftover wheat bread and then some wheat hamburger buns, which turned out fine! I still used an entire package of spinach, which was a little much. I also didn't have Swiss cheese, so I used mozzarella and cheddar. I think I would make this again as it was very easy. You could also easily add sausage or ham instead of the bacon."
"I made this and took it into work - where it was very well received. To me, it had too much bread, and I would use less the next time I make it. Nice taste, though, and it is nice that it can be fixed the night before."
"I have made this strata since 08 and evertime my brother in law comes to visit he puts in an order! It makes our visits more special!"
"Was fantastic. We even sauteed some mushrooms and threw those in as well. Beautiful to see and delicious to eat!!!"
"Both my husband and I love spinach. Have not tried this dish yet, but plan to soon. Thank you for sharing recipe."