Bacon-Ranch Mini Loaves
Need to round out your morning menu on Christmas...or anytime at all? Try these savory miniature loaves that bake up tender and golden brown. Slices are wonderful alongside vegetable omelets, breakfast bakes, frittatas, or any favorite egg dish.—Brandon Borton, Auburn, Kentucky
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes4 mini loaves (6 slices each)
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, diced
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ranch salad dressing mix
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Saute onions in reserved drippings until tender; cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, dressing mix, garlic powder, baking soda and pepper. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, milk and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cheese, bacon and onions.
- Transfer to four greased 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Editor's Note: Bread can be baked in two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans for 35-40 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 167 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 293mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Bacon Cheddar Ranch Bread in Country Woman Christmas 2010