Need to round out your morning menu on Christmas...or anytime at all? Try these savory miniature loaves that bake up tender and golden brown. Slices are wonderful alongside vegetable omelets, breakfast bakes, frittatas, or any favorite egg dish.—Brandon Borton, Auburn, Kentucky
Recommended: 31 Easy Quick Bread Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, diced
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ranch salad dressing mix
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Saute onions in reserved drippings until tender; cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, dressing mix, garlic powder, baking soda and pepper. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the cheese, bacon and onions.
- Transfer to four greased 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 4 mini loaves (6 slices each).
Originally published as Bacon-Ranch Mini Loaves in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2010, p28