Bacon Potato Salad
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min. + chilling
- 2-1/4 pounds red potatoes (about 8 medium)
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- Drain potatoes. When cool enough to handle, peel and cut into cubes. Place in a large bowl. Add the onion, vinegar, celery seed, salt, pepper, bacon and reserved drippings; toss gently. Cool to room temperature. Fold in mayonnaise. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 355 calories, 27g fat (5g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 529mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
May 31, 2015
This was yummy! Took the advice of other reviewers and added some chopped celery instead of the celery seed, as well some chopped hard boiled eggs and some dijon mustard. Very delicious!
May 26, 2014
Everyone loved it and asked for the recipe
Apr 21, 2014
everyone loved it! I cooked potatoes the night before and did not bother peeling the potatoes.
May 27, 2013
very good...I am making it again Memorial Day 2013.
Aug 15, 2011
I'm not a big potato salad fan but my husband and I both love this. I add celery for some crunch but other than that my husband says "Don't change anything."
Jul 15, 2011
It is simple and tasty. It is now my favorite potato salad recipe.
Jul 7, 2011
I made this and I believe it is my husband and my favorite potato salad. I did add hard boiled eggs though. It was very good. Thanks for sharing
Jul 3, 2011
If you're not into egg-style potato salads, this is great!
Jun 30, 2011
This is now my go-to favorite potatoe salad recipe. I always thought making potatoe salad was too time consuming, but not this one. When I cooked the potatoes and took them out of the water, they fell apart. I did not attempt to peel them and just smashed them up. So I kind of made smashed potatoe salad! Yum
Jun 29, 2011
The flavor was a little bland. I did use sour cream instead of mayo for about 1/3 of the dressing. About a teas. of dill weed and additional salt helped. Next time I will add chopped celery.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.