Bacon Pot Pie
I love the combination of bacon and cheese. Add some veggies and a homemade flaky pie crust and you have a comforting Sunday night meal or a cozy, filling breakfast. —Ashley Hudd, Holton, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 5 to 7 tablespoons ice water
- 2 medium red potatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen broccoli, thawed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Place flour in a large bowl; cut in shortening and butter until crumbly. Gradually add ice water 1 tablespoonful at a time, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine potatoes and water; microwave, covered, on high until tender, 4-5 minutes. Cool; drain. In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in milk, garlic powder and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Cool and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Trim even with rim. Place potatoes in crust. Top with bacon, onion, broccoli and cheese. Pour sauce over top. Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 50-60 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 493 calories, 31g fat (14g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 558mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Bacon and Cheese Pot Pie in Taste of Home August/September 2019