I never thought I liked brussel sprouts until I was given this very old recipe. It's delicious and may just change your mind about Brussel sprouts! *It's not a good idea to add salt to this recipe, as the bacon and parmesan cheese are already salty enough. I've substituted broccoli and/or cauliflower for the sprouts and they are also delicious prepared in this way. The only change I make is that I generally use a microwave steamer to cook the broccoli and cauliflower.
Recommended: 40 Ways to Love Roasted Veggies
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 5 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, chopped
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen Brussels sprouts, thawed
- 1/3 cup sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings.
- In the same skillet, saute Brussels sprouts and onion in reserved drippings until lightly browned. Add water and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes or until Brussels sprouts are heated through. Remove from the heat. Stir in bacon and sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Bacon-Parmesan Brussels Sprouts in Simple & Delicious October/November 2012, p24
Reviews forBacon-Parmesan Brussels Sprouts
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 25, 2015
"I have fresh brussel sprouts. Should I par-boil them first? Thanks!"
Reviewed Mar. 30, 2014
Reviewed Oct. 21, 2012