Bacon & Oyster Stuffing
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh sage or 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 cups cubed day-old French bread
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) whole oysters, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
- In a large skillet, saute celery and onions in butter until tender. Add the garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the parsley, sage, thyme, poultry seasoning and pepper.
- Place bread cubes in a large bowl; add celery mixture and bacon. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, broth, oysters and wine. Add to bread mixture; stir just until moistened.
- Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until lightly browned and a thermometer reads 160°.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 273 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 766mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 13g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 9, 2011
This stuffing was very rich but delicious. I doubled the osters to 16 oz because 8 didnt seem like enough. Also I used a pound of bacon. This seems like a great recipe to play around with by omitting the oysters and adding other flavors. I would make it again for sure it was a big hit for thanksgiving.