Bacon Onion Turnovers
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 10 min.
- 3 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter and salt; beat until smooth. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divided into 30 pieces. Roll each into a 4-in. circle. Combine bacon and onion; place about 2 teaspoons on one side of each circle. Fold dough over filling; press edges with a fork to seal. Place 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes.
- Brush with egg. Bake at 425° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 209 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 469mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 14, 2013
I used my bread machine for the dough; with only 1 package of yeast. It rose just fine, but did take a bit longer than the recipe stated - one complete dough cycle. I'm not sure the dough needs all that butter; it did not taste much richer than my regular bread dough which has 2 Tbsps of oil.The turnovers tasted good, but were quite dry. We tried various condiments for dipping and found sweet/spicy bar-b-que sauce to be the best. Spicy brown mustard was too over-powering.
Feb 26, 2012
one of the first recipies I tried when I discovered Taste of Home Mag. and still a favorite. good for quick breakfast on the run, snack or brunch, late nite. easy and delicious. make often, keep in freezer for quick snacks.
Mar 24, 2011
This is a family favorite! Easy to make and enjoyed by all! Love it.