Bacon-Onion Oatmeal Buns
All six of my kids are now grown and gone, but I still bake and cook every day. This is one of our favorite recipes.—Arline Hofland, Deer Lodge, Montana
Total TimePrep: 50 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, diced
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups bread flour
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. Saute onions in drippings; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring water and milk just to a boil. In a large bowl, pour boiling liquid over oats. Add the molasses, oil and salt. Let stand until mixture cools to 110°-115°, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon brown sugar in warm water. Add the bacon, onions, oatmeal mixture, egg, whole wheat flour, 3-1/2 cups bread flour and remaining brown sugar. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 36 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 140 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 186mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Bacon-Onion Oatmeal Buns in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.