Bacon Onion Breadsticks
With a delicious blend of bacon, butter and onion, these soft breadsticks are hard to resist. Our family enjoys them with soup and salad.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- Coarse salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1 cup warm milk. Add sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add butter, 1 teaspoon salt and remaining milk. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute bacon and onion until bacon is crisp; drain. Add pepper and remaining salt. Cool completely. Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; knead bacon mixture into dough.
- Roll dough into a 14-in. square. Brush with egg; sprinkle with coarse salt. Cut dough in half lengthwise and in thirds widthwise. Cut each section into six strips. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 130 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 183mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.