Bacon Onion Bread
This savory bread features a tender interior and golden-brown crust. Serve it alongside Christmas dinner…or slice it for sandwiches at a holiday potluck or buffet.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 3 hours + cooling
Makes1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1-1/4 cups water (70° to 80°)
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 5 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 cup finely crumbled cooked bacon
- 4-1/2 teaspoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select French bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons water or flour if needed).
Editor's NoteWe recommend you do not use a bread machine's time-delay feature for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 109 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 213mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Originally published as Bacon Onion Bread in Country Woman Christmas 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.