This savory bread features a tender interior and golden-brown crust. Serve it alongside Christmas dinner…or slice it for sandwiches at a holiday potluck or buffet.
Recommended: 33 Non-Scary Bread Recipes Anyone Can Bake
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/4 cups water (70° to 80°)
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 5 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 cup finely crumbled cooked bacon
- 4-1/2 teaspoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select French bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons water or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds).
Originally published as Bacon Onion Bread in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2009, p41