Bacon Nut Meatballs
Almonds provide the crunchy difference in these irresistible meatballs. Making them a day in advance enhances the flavor even more. - Sue Downes-Williams, Lebanon, New Hampshire.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) beef consomme
- In a large skillet, cook bacon. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon; drain o paper towels. Reserve drippings in skillet.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, tomato past, crumbs, parsley, almonds, oregano, salt, pepper and bacon. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 1-in. balls. Brown meatballs in drippings. Remove with a slotted spoon. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Saute mushrooms and onion in the drippings.
- Combine soup and consomme; stir into the mushroom mixture until blended. Return meatballs to pan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
To quickly chop nuts, place 1 cup of large nut pieces in a food processor. Cover and push the pulse button several times until nuts are the size you prefer.
Nutrition Facts7 each: 459 calories, 31g fat (12g saturated fat), 131mg cholesterol, 1754mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as Bacon Nut Meatballs in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.