Bacon Nut Meatballs
Almonds provide the crunchy difference in these irresistible meatballs. Making them a day in advance enhances the flavor even more. - Sue Downes-Williams, Lebanon, New Hampshire.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) beef consomme
- In a large skillet, cook bacon. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon; drain o paper towels. Reserve drippings in skillet.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, tomato past, crumbs, parsley, almonds, oregano, salt, pepper and bacon. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 1-in. balls. Brown meatballs in drippings. Remove with a slotted spoon. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Saute mushrooms and onion in the drippings.
- Combine soup and consomme; stir into the mushroom mixture until blended. Return meatballs to pan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
To quickly chop nuts, place 1 cup of large nut pieces in a food processor. Cover and push the pulse button several times until nuts are the size you prefer.