Bacon Mac & Cheese Recipe
- 6 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 pound bacon strips, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1 package (8 ounces) process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1. Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Saute jalapeno in reserved drippings. Add milk and cheeses to pan; cook and stir until blended. Stir in the onion powder, chili powder, salt, pepper and pepper sauce.
- 3. Drain macaroni; add to pan with the onions and cooked bacon. Mix well.
- 4. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 16 servings (3/4 cup each).
3/4 cup: 438 calories, 26g fat (13g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 1106mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein.
Reviews for Bacon Mac & Cheese
"I suggest substituting real American cheese for the Velveeta. Velveeta isn't actually cheese but one of those Frankenstein foods made with oil and some other weird ingredients. If you're going to the trouble to make this from scratch, keep it real. Please don't hate me because I don't recommend fake food."
"Very nice texture and blend of flavors. Second time I used less bacon and a pound of ground beef. Then half cheddar, half smoked Gouda and the velveta. Saut?ed sweet onion in the bacon fat and mixed in six chopped up roasted Hatch peppers. Amazingly delicious."
"Very very good, did as recipe called for except added less Jalape?o. Everyone loved it."
"By far the best mac n cheese I've ever made and i'm a mac n cheese snobb. The only things I did different was add more jalapeno and one habanero (I like it really spicy) and I ommitted the green onion (simply because I didn't have any) and the recipe came out to die for. I will definitely be making this again soon!"
"for added color add some broccoli. Good way to sneak it in under the kids nose"
"Very good. Added panko topping"
"My family gives this one a big thumbs up! The bacon really brings it a step up. Great side dish for any meat. JudyLA"
"Attn: luvmac -- when you buy shredded cheese if you look at the bags - an 8 oz bag = 2 cups."
"I am confused on the amount of cheese. The recipe keeps saying add 1 cup (4 ounces) for the cheeses, BUT, a cup is 8 ounces. Is it supposed to be 4 ounces of each cheese, or 8 ounces???"
"Ridiculously easy and a crowd pleaser!"