Bacon-Encased Water Chestnuts
My husband and I do lots of entertaining and always start off with appetizers like these tempting morsels.—Midge Scurlock, Creston, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 8 bacon strips
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) whole water chestnuts, drained
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1 jar (2-1/2 ounces) strained peach baby food
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Dash salt
- Cut bacon strips in half lengthwise and then in half widthwise. Wrap each bacon piece around a water chestnut; secure with a toothpick.
- Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes, turning once; drain if necessary.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Drizzle over water chestnuts. Bake 25-35 minutes longer or until bacon is crisp. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 155 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 363mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Bacon-Wrapped Water Chestnuts in Taste of Home April/May 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.