Bacon Corn Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes6-8 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 4 bacon strips
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn
- 8 ounces process American cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon; crumble and set aside. In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Add water, potatoes and bouillon; cover and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and 1/4 cup milk until smooth. Add the flour mixture, cream, corn and remaining milk to soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add cheese and bacon. Cook and stir until cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 331 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 574mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Feb 25, 2016
Major hit. In my pressure cooker this took only 15 mns from start to finish. I added a small amount of Velveeta cheese and spike seasoning.
Nov 15, 2014
This was a HUGE hit in our house. We made a few changes, I used my emulsifier and half blended the potatoes before adding the milk, just to thicken it up a bit more. We also used smoked gouda in place of Velveeta because we would rather use real cheese. Will definitely make this one again! Served it with some drop biscuits for a wonderful warm up dish on a cold autumn night.
Oct 14, 2013
Aug 26, 2011
After reading other reviews of this soup, I was anxious to try it. I followed the directions as stated in recipe. I thought the soup was not very flavorful. Too many calories for something without a lot of flavor was my overall impression. :(
Jun 10, 2011
Dec 17, 2010
The directions in this recipe are very clear and easy to follow. As a side not if you don't like the soup super cheesy cut down on the valveeta cheese. Other than that the soup ended up just perfect.
Jan 5, 2010
Was very good, I too used shredded cheddar cheese. I also used 3 cups of milk rather than the cup of half n' half to save on calories and replaced the flour with 1/8 cup of cornstarch as well as used canned corn rather than frozen. My family ate it up, and I especially liked that I was able to pull this soup together with ingredients that I had in the pantry and fridge. Is a keeper for sure.
Sep 3, 2009
I've made this soup several times, it's WONDERFUL!! The only change I made is that I used grated cheddar cheese instead of Velveeta. I highly recommend it!
Sep 3, 2009
very good! i used cheddar cheese and it worked well. deff. one that i will make again!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.