Bacon-Chili Stuffed Squash
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 4 quarts water
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 6 medium yellow summer squash
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 6 tablespoons crumbled cooked bacon, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- In a Dutch oven, bring water and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil. Add squash; cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain. When cool enough to handle, cut squash in half lengthwise; scoop out and reserve pulp, leaving a 3/8-in. shell. Invert shells on paper towel.
- In a saucepan, saute onion in 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the chilies, 1/2 cup cheese, 3 tablespoons bacon, pepper and remaining salt. Drain reserved squash pulp and stir into bacon mixture. Spoon into shells.
- Place in two lightly greased 11x7-in. baking dishes. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over squash. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bacon. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 231 calories, 14g fat (9g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 1323mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 11g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 1, 2011
I loved this recipe, I served it for a family dinner and everyone liked it.
Nov 13, 2010
I've made this several times, for several people and it is always a hit. I do add more bacon than it calls for - but then I think bacon is it's own food group