Bacon-Chili Stuffed Squash
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 4 quarts water
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 6 medium yellow summer squash
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 6 tablespoons crumbled cooked bacon, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- In a Dutch oven, bring water and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil. Add squash; cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain. When cool enough to handle, cut squash in half lengthwise; scoop out and reserve pulp, leaving a 3/8-in. shell. Invert shells on paper towel.
- In a saucepan, saute onion in 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the chilies, 1/2 cup cheese, 3 tablespoons bacon, pepper and remaining salt. Drain reserved squash pulp and stir into bacon mixture. Spoon into shells.
- Place in two lightly greased 11x7-in. baking dishes. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over squash. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bacon. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 231 calories, 14g fat (9g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 1323mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 11g protein.
May 1, 2011
I loved this recipe, I served it for a family dinner and everyone liked it.
Nov 13, 2010
I've made this several times, for several people and it is always a hit. I do add more bacon than it calls for - but then I think bacon is it's own food group
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.