Bacon Cheeseburger Meatball Subs
I love combining some of my favorite dishes into a brand new creation. This is a meatball and a bacon cheeseburger literally rolled into one. This hearty dish will please the meat lovers in your gang.—Cyndy Gerken, Naples, Florida
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 2/3 pound ground veal
- 2/3 pound ground pork
- 24 cubes cheddar cheese (1/2-inch each)
- 8 cooked bacon strips, cut into thirds
- 8 lettuce leaves
- 8 submarine buns, split and toasted
- 1 cup barbecue sauce, warmed
- In a large bowl, combine the first 12 ingredients. Crumble the meats over the mixture and mix well; divide into 24 portions.
- Wrap each cheese cube with a cut bacon strip. Shape one portion of meat mixture around each bacon-wrapped cheese cube. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Drain on paper towels. Serve on lettuce-lined buns with barbecue sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 784 calories, 29g fat (11g saturated fat), 150mg cholesterol, 1594mg sodium, 85g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 5g fiber), 43g protein.
Originally published as INSIDE OUT BACON CHEESEBURGER MEATBALL SUBS in Taste of Home Winning Recipes 3
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips