Bacon-Cheese Pinwheel Rolls
It's no wonder my husband adores these pinwheels. I got the original recipe from his mother. They taste great warm or cold and freeze well in plastic bags.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 2/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8-3/4 to 9-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 cups Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 2 teaspoons sugar in 1 cup warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the milk, butter, eggs, salt, 7 cups flour and remaining water and sugar. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Set bacon aside. Cook onion in drippings until tender; set aside.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into fourths. Roll each portion into a 15x10-in. rectangle. Sprinkle each with a fourth of the cheese, about 1/3 cup bacon and about 2 tablespoons onion.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut each into 12 slices. Place cut side down 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 209 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 337mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.