Bacon & Cheese Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
Makes1 loaf (8 servings)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- In a small skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add carrot and onion; cook and stir until tender. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, crumbled bacon, eggs, Worcestershire sauce, seasonings and carrot mixture. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly.
- Shape into an 8x4-in. loaf in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 160°.
- In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients; mix well. Pat onto meat loaf; let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Remove to a platter.
Editor's NoteTo make soft bread crumbs, tear bread into pieces and place in a food processor or blender. Cover and pulse until crumbs form. One slice of bread yields 1/2 to 3/4 cup crumbs.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 469 calories, 31g fat (12g saturated fat), 190mg cholesterol, 1072mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 38g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 26, 2017
My husband and I really liked this. My only complaint is that I thought it was a bit too salty. I'll cut back on that next time. The cut the recipe in half and used dried sage and chives for the top. I loved the blue cheese flavor. I actually make sandwiches from the leftover meatloaf slices. Because the meatloaf was only half as big, I think I only had it in the oven for about 50 minutes. This was very good, I'd make this again.
Oct 9, 2016
Excellent meat loaf. I made this for the second time recently, and it's just so good. I had to increase my prior rating, because I think it'll be made more often now that my family is requesting it.
Jan 5, 2015
to quote my husband..."This is totally awesome!" The bleu cheese made this so tasty. I will definitely be making this one again!
Jan 12, 2014
very tasty with the blue cheese on top. I substituted the fresh spice with 1/2 tsp each of dried spice.
Nov 30, 2013
My brother-in-law made this for a Sunday dinner and it was a hit even those who did not like blue cheese thought that this was a GREAT meatloaf. YUM!
Nov 2, 2013
As a huge fan of bleu cheese, I found this to be very good. Unfortunately my husband doesn't like bleu cheese so I may not make this often but when I do I will enjoy it completely!
May 23, 2013
Very good but a little peppery. Will use less next time. Love the veggies mixed inside and the cheese on top. Such a nice change from the meat loaf recipes with the ketchup on top (which I don't like). Very impressed!
Apr 17, 2013
Mar 19, 2013
Now my husband's favorite meat loaf.
Mar 1, 2013
My new favorite meat loaf recipe...and I've tried quite a few!