Bacon Blue Cheese Artichoke Tossed Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 bunches (1 pound each) romaine, torn
- 1 pound sliced bacon, diced, cooked and drained
- 1 jar (6-1/2 ounces) marinated artichoke hearts, drained and sliced
- 1 package (4 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, sliced
- 6 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- In a large salad bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; cover and refrigerate. In a blender or food processor, combine the vinegar, onion, brown sugar, mustard, salt and pepper; cover and process until smooth. With blender running, add oil in a steady stream; blend until thickened. Drizzle over salad; toss gently. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 94 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 307mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 2, 2013
I made some significant changes. 1. I didn't have any onion or peppers in the house, so none ended up in the salad, 2. I don't like any sugar or sugar substitutes if I can avoid them, so I just left them out, 3. I had a can of black olives I threw it in, 4. Finally, instead of oil I used a bit of the marinade that artichokes were in. It is fairly good. I agree that it serves more like 10-12 than 20-24 unless we're talking about small small tastes.
Dec 26, 2008
Great salad but it doesn't served anywhere near the 20-24. I halved the recipe for 5 of us and it could have served 6. Easy to make and good flavor.