Bacon, Beef and Barley Soup
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Cook : 2 hours
Makes8 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 8 cups beef broth, divided
- 4 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 4 fresh thyme sprigs, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. Brown beef in drippings. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute the onions, carrots and mushrooms until tender. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in 4 cups broth, mustard, thyme, bay leaf and beef. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beef is tender.
- Stir in the barley, salt, pepper and remaining broth. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until barley is tender. Discard bay leaf. Stir in bacon.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 381 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 1164mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 29g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 23, 2017
Best beef based soup I have ever made! I even made the mistake of adding the barley with the beef instead of the last hour. It turned out great. I served it in bread bowls from my local bakery and took them up a bowl to try. I may have to add a bit more beef broth when I reheat the leftovers because the barley really thickened it up a lot.
May 25, 2017
Of all the soups I love, beef and barley holds a special place in my heart. This recipe was perfect! (Though I did use slightly less onion, since I only had one handy - still turned out great!)
Jun 9, 2014
This is a very hearty soup. The bacon adds a complimentary taste to this dish. The specific mustard listed was also a tasty addition.