Bacon Bean Stalks
You'll need just three ingredients to assemble this fun fall side dish. Wax beans are bundled with bacon strips to look like shocks of cornstalks.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound fresh wax or green beans
- 6 bacon strips
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Place beans in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook bacon until partially cooked, about 3 minutes; drain on paper towels.
- Drain beans; place about 12 beans on each bacon strip. Position one end of beans so they are nearly even; cut about 1/4 in. from that end so stalks will stand when served. Wrap bacon strip around beans; secure with a toothpick.
- Lay stalks flat on an ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle with onion powder. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until bacon is crisp.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 60 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 106mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Bacon Bean Stalks in Quick Cooking September/October 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.