Bacon Bean Sandwiches
"My mother-in-law first shared this scrumptious open-face sandwich with us, and it's now a favorite around our house," notes Dorothy Klass of Tabor City, North Carolina. "The flavors of the bacon, beans, onion and cheese complement each other wonderfully!"
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 5 slices bread, lightly toasted
- 1 can (16 ounces) pork and beans
- 10 bacon strips, cooked and drained
- 4 slices onion, separated into rings
- 5 slices process American cheese
- Place toast on an ungreased baking sheet. Spread each slice with 3 tablespoons beans. Top each with two bacon strips, a few onion rings and a cheese slice. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 284 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 883mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Bacon Bean Sandwiches in Quick Cooking July/August 2000