Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 35 min. + chilling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1-1/2 pounds bacon strips
- 1 cup toasted chopped almonds
- 3/4 cup chopped dates
- 10 tablespoons butter, melted
- 20 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Coarsely crumble bacon into a food processor; add almonds and dates. Cover and process until finely chopped.
- Brush a 13x9-in. baking pan with some of the butter. Unroll phyllo dough; trim to fit into pan.
- Layer five sheets of phyllo dough in prepared pan, brushing each with butter. (Keep remaining dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Sprinkle with a third of the bacon mixture. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining phyllo dough, brushing each sheet with butter.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into 1-1/2-in. diamond shapes. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Pour over warm baklava. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 235 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 485mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 24, 2018
This was alot easier than i thought it would be and tastes alot like regular baklava but better - with bacon it had to be. Very good
Dec 14, 2011
I can't wait to make it.