Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 35 min. + chilling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1-1/2 pounds bacon strips
- 1 cup toasted chopped almonds
- 3/4 cup chopped dates
- 10 tablespoons butter, melted
- 20 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Coarsely crumble bacon into a food processor; add almonds and dates. Cover and process until finely chopped.
- Brush a 13x9-in. baking pan with some of the butter. Unroll phyllo dough; trim to fit into pan.
- Layer five sheets of phyllo dough in prepared pan, brushing each with butter. (Keep remaining dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Sprinkle with a third of the bacon mixture. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining phyllo dough, brushing each sheet with butter.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into 1-1/2-in. diamond shapes. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Pour over warm baklava. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 235 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 485mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Mar 24, 2018
This was alot easier than i thought it would be and tastes alot like regular baklava but better - with bacon it had to be. Very good
Dec 14, 2011
I can't wait to make it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.