VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 pounds bacon strips
- 1 cup toasted chopped almonds
- 3/4 cup chopped dates
- 10 tablespoons butter, melted
- 20 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Coarsely crumble bacon into a food processor; add almonds and dates. Cover and process until finely chopped.
- Brush a 13x9-in. baking pan with some of the butter. Unroll phyllo dough; trim to fit into pan.
- Layer five sheets of phyllo dough in prepared pan, brushing each with butter. (Keep remaining dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Sprinkle with a third of the bacon mixture. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining phyllo dough, brushing each sheet with butter.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into 1-1/2-in. diamond shapes. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Pour over warm baklava. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Bacon Baklava in Taste of Home April/May 2010, p70
Reviews forBacon Baklava
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 24, 2018
"This was alot easier than i thought it would be and tastes alot like regular baklava but better - with bacon it had to be. Very good"
Reviewed Dec. 14, 2011
"I can't wait to make it."