Bacon and Macaroni
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 14 bacon strips, diced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon; drain. Reserve 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet. Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons parsley, sugar, garlic powder and pepper to drippings; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes. Stir in macaroni; heat through, stirring occasionally. Combine cheese and remaining parsley; sprinkle over casserole.
- Microwave Directions: In a 2-qt. microwave-safe baking dish, heat bacon on high for 2-1/2 minutes; discard fat. Microwave on high 2-3 minutes more or until bacon is crisp. Reserve 1 tablespoon drippings; stir in the tomato sauce, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons parsley, sugar, garlic powder and pepper.
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in macaroni; cover and cook on high for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Combine cheese and remaining parsley; sprinkle over casserole.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 307 calories, 24g fat (9g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 597mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Sep 27, 2011
My grandmother taught me this recipe. However, we used tomato soup. So goooood, reminds me of my childhood.
Jun 3, 2011
It was a hit in my house! The boys all loved the flavor that the bacon brought to the dish. It was a little on the sweet side from the tomato sauce/paste, but not over whelming. I will be making this again, altough I will be adding some mushrooms, and either some cream cheese or cottage cheese to make the sauce a little bit creamier.