My husband has been trying to get the pizza place down the street to serve breakfast pizza. When he told me his idea, I came up with this bacon and egg version, but I put sausage on his half. It's great with the spicy salsa! —Darlene Brenden, Salem, Oregon
Recommended: Our Best Bacon Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 envelope (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 to 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1/3 pound Canadian bacon, chopped
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1-1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the yeast, sugar, salt and 3/4 cup flour; set aside. In a small saucepan, heat water and oil to 120°-130°; stir into dry ingredients. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Grease a 14-in. pizza pan; sprinkle with cornmeal. Roll out and transfer dough to prepared pan; build up edges slightly. Bake at 400° for 13-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk the eggs, salt and pepper; add to skillet. Cook and stir until just set.
- Spread salsa over pizza crust; layer with meats, egg mixture and cheese. Bake 5-6 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Bacon and Egg Breakfast Pizza in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2013, p217