Bacon and Chive Waffles
These savory waffles are a deliciously different light supper, suggests Edie DeSpain of Logan, Utah.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1-3/4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Thinly sliced tomato
- In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl, combine the egg yolks, milk, oil, parsley, chives and Worcestershire sauce; stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Stir in cheese and bacon. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Preheat waffle iron. Fill and bake according to manufacturer's directions. Top with tomato slices.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 620 calories, 34g fat (13g saturated fat), 212mg cholesterol, 743mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Bacon and Chive Waffles in Taste of Home April/May 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.