Bacon and Chive Waffles
These savory waffles are a deliciously different light supper, suggests Edie DeSpain of Logan, Utah.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1-3/4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Thinly sliced tomato
- In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl, combine the egg yolks, milk, oil, parsley, chives and Worcestershire sauce; stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Stir in cheese and bacon. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Preheat waffle iron. Fill and bake according to manufacturer's directions. Top with tomato slices.