Frozen mini phyllo tart shells are so convenient and easy to use. Just add a savory filling featuring sun-dried tomatoes and bacon, then pop them in the oven.—Patricia Quinn, Omaha, Nebraska
Featured In: Labor Day Snacks and Apps
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper (about 1 small)
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper (about 1 small)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Dash dried oregano
- 3 packages (1.9 ounces each) frozen miniature phyllo tart shells
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped and patted dry
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and peppers; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and oregano; cook 1 minute longer. Cool completely.
- Place tart shells on ungreased baking sheets. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, lemon juice and salt until smooth. Add egg; beat on low speed just until blended. Stir in tomatoes, bacon, basil and onion mixture.
- Spoon 2 teaspoons filling into each tart shell. Top each with 1/2 teaspoon crushed crackers and 1/2 teaspoon cheddar cheese.
Bake 10-12 minutes or until set. Serve warm.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled baked pastries in freezer containers. To use, reheat pastries on a baking sheet in a preheated 350° oven 15-18 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 45 tartlets.
Originally published as Bacon & Sun-dried Tomato Phyllo Tarts in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2014