When I first served this refreshing salad more than 20 years ago, friends couldn't say enough about it. The marinated mushrooms are conveniently made the night before.—Sheila Christensen, San Marcos, California
Recommended: 45 Thanksgiving Appetizers to Feed a Crowd
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 3 green onions, cut into fourths
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1-1/4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound thinly sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 pound thick-sliced peppered bacon strips
- 4 cups torn romaine
- 4 cups torn red leaf lettuce
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- Cherry tomatoes and ripe olives, optional
- In a blender, combine the first eight ingredients. Cover and process until onions are finely chopped. Place mushrooms in a large bowl; add olive oil mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon in batches over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Crumble bacon; stir into mushroom mixture.
- Divide the romaine, leaf lettuce and onion among eight salad plates. Top each serving with 1/2 cup mushroom mixture. Garnish with tomatoes and olives if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Bacon & Marinated Mushroom Salad in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p134