- 1 pound sliced bacon
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 8 slices white bread, cubed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon in batches until crisp; drain on paper towels. Crumble into a large bowl. Add the red pepper, onions and tomatoes. In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer half of the bread, bacon mixture and cheese. Top with remaining bread and bacon mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the eggs, milk, mayonnaise and seasonings. Pour over the top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, covered, at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forBacon & Cheddar Strata
"This was so good! I would absolutely make this again. I followed the suggestion of another reviewer and used 8 eggs. Also, after uncovering, I did have to bake it for 15 - 20 minutes instead of the 5 - 10 it called for."
"Very nice - took it into work and brought home an empty pan."
"Very good! Although I think either I should have cooked it at 375 degrees covered or maybe 1 hr covered and then 5 - 10 uncovered, the middle wasn't done. (so we just ate around the middle, saved that for re-heating leftovers.) Also used 8 eggs and 1% millk."
"I knew my bacon lovin' family would love this. I was right. I substituted some slightly stale Italian bread. Something a little chewy. It was delicious!"
"Very delicious. Sucks you have to leave it overnight because it just looks and smells so delicious you can't wait to eat it."
"A truly wonderful recipe for a hearty morning meal that doesn't require you to get up at the crack of dawn. Make it the night before, let it sit covered in the refrigerator overnight. Pop it in the oven before making the morning coffee. Yum!"
"I looked at this recipe because we have lots of eggs. I thought strata contained eggs. Our chickens are laying real good and I need recipes for eggs. HOWEVER the recipe was very good, and like kcc mine was flatter, but oh so good!"
"instead of using the cubed bread, try cubed potatoes."