Bacon & Cheddar Strata
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min.
- 1 pound bacon strips
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 8 slices white bread, cubed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon in batches until crisp; drain on paper towels. Crumble into a small bowl. Add red pepper, onions and tomatoes. In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half each of the bread, bacon mixture and cheese. Top with remaining bread and bacon mixture.
- In another bowl, combine eggs, milk, mayonnaise and seasonings. Pour over top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, covered, 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 340 calories, 23g fat (10g saturated fat), 168mg cholesterol, 736mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Apr 28, 2013
This was so good! I would absolutely make this again. I followed the suggestion of another reviewer and used 8 eggs. Also, after uncovering, I did have to bake it for 15 - 20 minutes instead of the 5 - 10 it called for.
Feb 23, 2013
Very nice - took it into work and brought home an empty pan.
Dec 27, 2012
I fixed this for breakfast the morning after Christmas. Granddaughter said it was "amazing"! I used 8 eggs as others suggested and added 1/2 pound of sausage to the bacon. Will be making again!
Jul 15, 2012
Very good! Although I think either I should have cooked it at 375 degrees covered or maybe 1 hr covered and then 5 - 10 uncovered, the middle wasn't done. (so we just ate around the middle, saved that for re-heating leftovers.) Also used 8 eggs and 1% millk.
Mar 11, 2012
I knew my bacon lovin' family would love this. I was right. I substituted some slightly stale Italian bread. Something a little chewy. It was delicious!
Mar 9, 2012
Very delicious. Sucks you have to leave it overnight because it just looks and smells so delicious you can't wait to eat it.
Mar 7, 2012
Made this for a Breakfast at work, everyone loved it.Easy to make. I used Skim (Fat Free) Milk in place of 2%. Couldn't tell the difference
Mar 2, 2012
A truly wonderful recipe for a hearty morning meal that doesn't require you to get up at the crack of dawn. Make it the night before, let it sit covered in the refrigerator overnight. Pop it in the oven before making the morning coffee. Yum!
Feb 29, 2012
I looked at this recipe because we have lots of eggs. I thought strata contained eggs. Our chickens are laying real good and I need recipes for eggs. HOWEVER the recipe was very good, and like kcc mine was flatter, but oh so good!
Feb 29, 2012
instead of using the cubed bread, try cubed potatoes.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.