As a single male, I prepare my own meals night after night. This prize-winning chili I concocted years ago appeared in a local cookbook.—Dan Ellison, Herman, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min. + simmering
Makes10-12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 boneless venison, elk, moose or beef chuck roast (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cut meat into 1/4-in. pieces. In a 4-qt. Dutch oven, brown meat in oil; remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute onions, green pepper, garlic and pepper flakes until vegetables are tender. Return meat to pan. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 hours or until the meat is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 253 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 113mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein.
Mar 2, 2016
I have decided that this recipe is a good one!I did rate it as a 5 and I admit that I HAD made a number of ingredient adjustments and on the cooking time. delowestein